5 Things You Need to Do to Your Property Before Heading Out on a Holiday this Summer
With summer upon in flight, you may be planning your next family holiday. But before you head out the door, there are some important maintenance checks that you need to conduct to ensure that the heat doesn’t take over your home when you’re out.Keep your home cool this summer in 5 easy waysMake for a welcoming home post-vacationing, by conducting these 5 maintenance checks:
- Repair and plug-in broken window sealsWindow seals keep out wind, heat, and dirt from your house. But wear and tear can affect their performance. When this happens, your heating and cooling systems need to work overtime to keep your home at the ideal temperature.Before you go on a holiday, have a professional come in and take a look at your window seals.
- Check and clean the HVAC systemFrom debris accumulation to simple overworking, your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems may become faulty due to numerous reasons. Often, a faulty HVAC system doesn’t stop working; instead, it works inefficiently, drawing in more energy and electricity than necessary, leading to high bills and a very large carbon footprint.A scheduled maintenance check of the HVAC systems during summer can do wonders for your home.
- Ramp up your home insulation featuresThe insulating materials in your walls may wear out with time. This can result in your home being drafty during winter and extremely hot during summer. Be sure to have your walls re-insulated with foam insulation before you leave for your vacation.Foam insulation is very light and creates an air barrier within your walls. This layer of air is what keeps your home constantly cool while keeping out dirt and wind from outside.
- Check and repair the air ductsThe air ducts are an integral part of the air conditioning and ventilation system in your home. An air duct that is clogged with dirt and debris will hinder the flow of air through the house, resulting in your home becoming an ‘oven’ during summer.Have a specialist come in to take a look. This will ensure that your home is summer-ready.
- Switch over to CFLs and LEDsLight and heat go hand-in-hand. This is why it’s important to have your light bulbs changed before you go on holiday. Replace your traditional incandescent and halogen tubes with cooling CFLs and LEDs.Not only will your electricity bills go down but so will the temperature in your house.Speak to a mortgage broker at Total Mortgages if you are looking for assistance with home financing!